Hello lovelies! Today I am back to share some more career advice for fellow college students! Personal brand statements are becoming an increasingly key component of the career world, so it’s important for college students to understand what they are and how to develop their own statement! Read on for advice explaining what the personal brand statement is, why you should have one, and how to build your own.
What is a personal brand statement?
A personal brand statement is a short, 3-4 sentence statement that describes who you are, what your goals are, and what makes you unique. You may also have heard this called an “elevator pitch.” Basically, it’s the story you tell about yourself!
Why should I have a personal brand statement?
- So that you can know and understand your own goals and what you want to do to achieve them
- To stand out from the competition and show off your uniqueness
- It will help you find other people who are similar to you. This can help you locate both organizations you would want to work for, and also individuals who can become a part of your professional network
- To establish yourself as a credible leader in your field
How do I create a personal brand statement?
There are a few questions you should ask yourself while creating your statement:
- What are your top six strengths? (Examples: project management, decision making, managing conflict, leading innovation)
- What are your top personality traits? (Examples: compassionate, innovative, analytical, driven, energetic)
- What are your unique interests or passions that define you? (Examples: writing, math, painting)
- What are your professional goals?
Based on these questions, write a 3-5 sentence statement summarizing who you are and what you want to professionally accomplish.
Here’s an example of a personal brand statement that I wrote for myself:
I am a passionate and driven individual who works to empower organizations to be the best they can be. A creative storyteller, I work to increase engagement and awareness of brands by utilizing the simple power of sound research and strategy to create measurable goals and ensure the plan succeeds, from start to finish.
In the above statement, I explain who I am, what my goals are, and how I am difference from the competition in my chosen field of marketing and PR.
Thanks so much for reading! I hope you use the above knowledge to help you narrow down your professional goals and come up with an amazing personal statement!